As businesses increasingly use digital assistants and automated support to optimize their services, speech recognition apps have increased significantly in recent years.
Speech recognition has become commonplace in various contexts, including voice assistants, smart home appliances, search engines, etc. According to a recent Report, the global market for speech recognition is predicted to develop at a CAGR of 17.2% and reach $26.8 billion by 2025.
Explore the online data science course in Hyderabad which is trending in the market.
Data science is a powerful tool for speech recognition (SR) based on big data. While previous speech recognition methods have relied on acoustic features extracted from recorded audio, many computer-generated voices are available in such systems. In this blog, we'll dive into some ways data science and AI can be used to improve speech recognition technology and its applications.
Speech recognition – Understanding the Basics
Speech recognition using data science and AI converts speech signals into text or machine-readable format. It is a technology that enables computers to understand human-spoken speech. It's used in many applications, such as voice search and speech-enabled Assistive Technology. Speech recognition algorithms have been used in the industry for a few years and have been improving steadily. This is because speech recognition is more than just identifying words. It's also about understanding the intent and sentiment of the speaker.
Generally, speech recognition breaks into three categories:
- Automated speech recognition (ASR) - Transcription of audio
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) - interpreting speech data and the text that follows once it has been transcribed
- Text-to-speech - Converts text to human-like speech
Speech recognition and Artificial Intelligence
As you know, speech recognition technology allows us to understand human speech through machine learning. It's a crucial technology today because it helps people communicate more quickly and efficiently.
But what does this mean for data scientists? Well, it means we need to recognize and understand various types of speech: human speech and machine-generated audio files (like audio recordings).
In order to do this, we'll need to use machine learning algorithms (also known as artificial intelligence). ML algorithms learn from examples they see to improve their performance on new tasks. They're also used in our modern world because they can solve problems that are too difficult for humans alone—like speech recognition! Before moving on to the applications, we will look at where exactly these applications are used.
How does speech recognition work?
You might be wondering if speech recognition is a very complex process. However, as said earlier, it utilizes the concept of AI and Machine learning. Virtual assistants like Google Assistant and Alexa are built primarily on two major technologies – Speech Recognition and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- First, the computer uses sound vibrations as input for speech recognition. An analogue-to-digital converter, which transforms sound waves into a digital format that the computer can interpret, accomplishes this.
- Then, the data is subjected to several complex algorithms to recognize the speech and provide a text output. The data can potentially be transformed into another form depending on the final objective.
- For instance, Google Voice Typing translates spoken words into text, whereas Google Assistant and Siri's personal assistants can receive sound input and respond with voice.
- If you ask, "How is the weather today?" The machine answers with an auditory response.
- In addition to advanced speech recognition, AI voice recognition allows the computer to recognize a specific speaker's voice for better accuracy.
A detailed explanation of speech recognition, data science and other AI techniques can be found in a comprehensive Data Science Course in Pune.
Challenges with Speech recognition
As said, speech recognition is a process by which computers can understand human speech and convert it into text. The main challenge of speech recognition is that the human voice contains many frequencies and intensities, which makes it difficult for a computer to decode the message.
There are many other challenges associated with speech since the technology is new:
- The technology is cutting-edge and evolving quickly. Because of this, it can be difficult to anticipate with any degree of accuracy how long it will take a company to develop a speech-enabled device.
- Another difficulty with speech AI is getting the appropriate tools to analyze your data. Finding the best tool for your needs may take time and effort because most people demand access to this technology.
- Your algorithms must be written in the proper syntax and language. Because it's necessary to comprehend how computers and people communicate, this can be challenging. It can be challenging for computers to understand every word you say because speech recognition technology still needs improvement.
- If you utilize a speech recognition tool, you must train it on your voice before it can comprehend what you're saying. This can take some time and involves a thorough analysis of how your voice differs from others.
Despite its limitations, speech recognition is a profoundly helpful technology. We often take it for granted when we are dictating a text message or speaking into an app, but the truth is that this is an incredible achievement that could not have been very long in the making.
Applications of Speech recognition:
- Voice assistant - Voice recognition software is used by virtual assistants (Alexa and Siri) and smart home appliances (smart watches) to do tasks, including placing orders, playing music, checking the weather, and providing weather updates.
Today, voice-based speech recognition technology is being used to:
- Initiate transactions
- Send emails
- Record meetings
- Transcribe doctor appointments and more.
- Transport and Security – Speech recognition can improve the transportation sector's scheduling, routing, and city-to-city navigation. Voice biometry, which uses technology to generate a speech profile by analyzing the many frequencies, tones, and pitches of a person's voice, has significantly impacted security.
- Customer Service – Voice assistants and AI-powered chatbots are being used to automate repetitive tasks in customer support.
- Subtitles – Speech recognition technology can transcribe podcasts, meetings, and journalistic interviews. A video's proper subtitles can also be provided using it.
The marketing, travel, content development, and translation sectors are also heavily investing in voice-based speech recognition technology. Furthermore, MAANG, IBM and other firms are among the top tech giants deploying AI-powered speech recognition software to deliver a superior user experience.
The team at IBM has made remarkable advances in their speech recognition software. They continue to improve their engine, and their research findings are valuable to those building speech recognition systems. Although Watson's speech recognition is yet to be as advanced as a human's, it is now the most powerful and accurate computer model.
As you can see, speech recognition has improved over the last few years. However, much work remains to understand which implementation and algorithm work better in different scenarios and other languages. Thus, while working on a data science project, you can spend your time more wisely if you know what you want to achieve and find the algorithm that works for you.
While the most recent advances in this field have been impressive, the technology is still far from perfect. The goal is to get speech recognition to be more accurate and improve. We're still waiting for computers that we can talk to naturally, but there's no doubt that it will happen someday soon. This article helped explain how machine learning and other data science techniques have streamlined speech-to-text technology from traditional to modern techniques.
If you're interested in building interesting data science and ML projects, go to Learnbay’s data science course in Banglore. Learn directly from industry experts and gain practical experience to succeed in the real world.